James M. Stanton assists businesses at all stages of litigation in federal and state court. Whether in the courtroom or at the settlement table, his experience as a state district judge and a board certified trial attorney helps his clients resolve their lawsuit so they can get back to focusing on their business. James joined Andrews Kurth following his service as presiding judge of the 134th Judicial District Court in Dallas County, Texas. During his career as a lawyer and judge, his experience includes handling over sixty jury trials, forty bench trials, and thousands of hearings. He is board certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- “How to Prevail at a Summary Judgment Hearing,” Texas Lawyer (May 21, 2012)
- “Channel Aristotle to Win the Next Hearing,” Texas Lawyer (April 9, 2012)
- “Turning a TRO Into a Temporary Injunction,” Texas Lawyer (February 20, 2012)
- “Risky Business: Four Things a Judge Will Analyze Before Entering a TRO,” Texas Lawyer (December 26, 2011)
- “Three Things Never to Write in Court Papers,” Texas Lawyer (November 7, 2011)
- “Questions to Ask to Win the Next Hearing,” Texas Lawyer (September 19, 2011).
- Recovering Attorney Fees in Equity Under Texas Law: Why Some Texas Courts of Appeal Have it Wrong, 29 T. Marshall L. Rev. 243 (2004) (cited by Naschke v. Gulf Coast Conference, 187 S.W.3d 653 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 2006, pet. denied) and Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, LLP v. Nat’l Dev’t & Research Corp., 232 S.W.3d 883 (Tex. App.—Dallas 2007), rev’d, 299 S.W.3d 106 (Tex. 2009)).
- Requirements of a Class Certification Order Under Texas Rule of Civil Procedure 42 After Southwestern Refining Co. v. Bernal, 54 Baylor L. Rev. 287 (2002).
- “The Ten Rules Every Juror Wants Every Young Lawyer To Know” presented to the Law Clerks and Summer Interns in the Dallas Division of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas in the courtroom of United States District Judge Ed Kinkeade with Trey Cox (Dallas, Texas; June 2011).
- “What Every Juror Wants Every Trial Lawyer to Know and Do in the Courtroom” presented at the Annual Meeting of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association with Lisa Blue Baron and Trey Cox (Austin, Texas; June 2011).
- “The Jury Speaks: Tips from Jurors to Prevail in Your Next Jury Trial” presented to the Dallas Bar Association Trial Skills Section with United States District Judge W. Royal Furgeson, Jr. and Trey Cox (Dallas, Texas; January 2011).
- “Dinner and a Movie: Jurors Tell You How to Be a Better Trial Court Judge” presented at the 2010 College for Newly Appointed and Elected Judges by the Texas Center for the Judiciary with Trey Cox (Austin, Texas; December 2010).
- “Ever Wonder What They Are Thinking: The Jury Speaks Featuring Videotaped Exit Interviews from Jurors” presented to the Garland Walker Inn of Court with United States District Judge Gray H. Miller, United States Bankruptcy Judge Jeff Bohm, and Trey Cox (Houston, Texas; December 2010).
- “What Civil Court Judges Want You to Know” sponsored by the National Business Institute, Inc. with State District Judge Ken Curry, State District Judge Eric V. Moye’, State District Judge John Roach, Jr., State District Judge Gena Slaughter, State District Judge Bonnie Sudderth, and State District Judge Melody Wilkinson (Fort Worth, Texas; October 2010).
- “Persuading Your Judge and Maintaining Your Ethics” presented at the Ethics Symposium sponsored by Legal Placement with State District Judge Lorraine Raggio, State District Judge Eric V. Moye’, and Randy Johnston (Dallas, Texas; July 2010).
- “Judicial Recusal and Disqualification, and Attorney Disqualification” presented at the Advanced Personal Injury Course sponsored by the State Bar of Texas with State District Judge Melody Wilkinson, Dallas County Court at Law Judge King Fifer, and Former State District Judge Joe Cox (Dallas, Texas; July 2010).
- “Jury Box Gossip: What Juries Say Behind Closed Doors” presented at the Understanding Juries Seminar at the Advanced Civil Trial Course sponsored by the State Bar of Texas with Trey Cox (San Antonio, Texas; July 2010).
- “Tips from the Judges on How to Be a More Persuasive Courtroom Advocate” presented to the Dallas Trial Lawyers Association with State District Judge Emily Tobolowsky and State District Judge Jim Jordan (Dallas, Texas; June 2010).
- “Approach the Bench (the Right Way): Tips from Judges on Winning in Court” presented to the Dallas Bar Association with State District Judge Eric V. Moye’, State District Judge Ken Molberg, and State District Judge Craig Smith (Dallas, Texas; May 2009).